Government College of Teacher Education was established as College of Education in the year 1952. To begin with it was affiliated to Mysore University, Mysore. Later on with the establishment of Mangalore University in the year 1982 its affiliation was shifted to Mangalore University.
In the year 1993 the College was upgraded to College of Teacher Education under the Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Teacher Education.
The CTE offers one year Bachelor of Education degree courses that prepares the secondary school teachers.
The CTE is situated in the city of Mangalore which is a coastal town known for its industries and educational institutions. It is a leading port city and has an international airport.
The CTE covers districts of Udupi, Dakshina Kannada and Kodagu. Of these Udupi and Dakshina Kannada are the coastal districts whereas Kodagu is a hilly area dominated district in the western ghats.